Saturday, July 28, 2007

My first trophy!

I'm two weeks away from graduating another class of anxious and ready students. They are excited and it always gives me a great feeling to see them continue on into the next phase of their lives. Almost as noteworthy were the events of this morning. I've never competed athletically (yes, I was on the JV golf team my 9th grade year, but I was far from competitive in that!) and I've run a few 5Ks or fun runs just, . . .for fun. Anyway, yesterday I found out that one of my coworkers and several of my students were going to run a 5K near my home, so I decided last minute to join the fold to get a nice run in on a Saturday morning while raising money for the Red Cross. Lo and behold, a thin crowd and my over-zealous spirit was enough to walk away with the 1st place trophy for my age group! You have to understand, this was truly my first sports trophy ever. I never did the little league thing like my brothers or take up any sports very seriously through high school or college, so I was pretty pleased. Anyway, it's interesting that a few songs came to mind as I took on the ups and downs of a local neighborhood for 22 minutes and 51 seconds (official time): Consuming Fire by Third Day and The Finish Line by Steve Taylor. The latter, I sang to myself twice and I am positive that the notion and visage of Christ rising to His feet as I stretched towards the finish line of life was a very motivating notion. It was fun, too, to stretch myself and do something different. That, too, is what Mediocre, Alaska is about - waking up to a new ambition and taking it on, head on. I'm thankful to my coworkers and students who came up with the idea and I've been encouraged to try it again sometime.
I think I need to archive some of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment