Saturday, October 3, 2009

Garage Sales & The Alabama Nature Center







Well, today was a fun and fairly productive day. We woke up early and did some garage sale shopping in our neighborhood. It's a lot of fun because it's neighborhood wide and there's at least 1000 homes in our neighborhood! Obviously not everyone participates, but it's busy and fun.

Then we drove up to Prattville/Millbrook, AL area to a special place called the Alabama Nature Center. They have hiking trails where many schools come and learn about biology, rocks, habitats, all that great stuff. Today, they were having what they called "The Good Ol' Days". They had a blacksmith making horseshoes (the nice man gave Andrew and Elizabeth and old one), several woodcarvers, and pottery-makers. There was a refurbished home where ladies were spinning wool into thread, crocheting, and quilting. Then, there was a native American hunting tent set up where they were making Three-Sisters Soup (squash, corn, beans, rice and venison) over the fire. The woman was weaving these amazing baskets out of long needle pine straw. They had tomahawks, blow guns for the darts they made, and real arrows with arrowheads he had made. He had the fur and hides of beaver, possum, fox, rabbit, skunk and raccoon. They were dressed as they would have been in the early to mid 1800s.

Oh, and then there was this herding dog demo! The trainer blows commands on a whistle and the dog herded these really strange looking ducks into pens and over and under steps! The ducks were very tall--over two feet and yet walked and waddled like ducks, but they would fall on their faces fairly often, which made us laugh. They would get up so quick, if you blinked you'd miss it. It was fairly entertaining to watch and it was the kids' favorite, but my favorite was the Indian hunting camp.

After all that, we partake of the hot dog lunch and prepare to go home when I run into a woman I knew in Alaska! I got distracted and after we were done talking, loaded up everyone into the car to go home. Well, about 10 minutes down the road I realized that I left our cooler with our name on it on one of the tables. We'd brought some juice boxes and fruit along, but forgot them when we got to talking and watching the blacksmith and woodcarver again! So, I decided to go back and get it. Well, that was slightly annoying, but we did it and got home for some much needed rest time. I opened the van tailgate to make sure I had gotten everything out, and it was then that I realized, once again, that I am very fortunate my head is attached to my body or I would forget it. The back of the van was empty, which meant that after I had gotten the diaper bag, the camera, my purse and the baby out of it--and then gone back for the silly cooler!--I had driven off leaving the stroller in the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment