Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Revenge of the Weeds

If you recall, I had quite a struggle with my lawn last summer. Crabgrass grew out of control and my feebile attempts to gain control over my property resulted in a backyard that resembled the lunar surface. Well, things haven't changed . . . much.

This spring (our first spring in this home) brought many new and interesting varieties of unfavorable growth in our front and backyard. Yes, the crabgrass is back, but now we have what resembles a small marsh along our low-lying fence, along with three-foot high grass and bugs as well as this purplish flower weed that has popped up all over. Of course there is also clover, wild onions & several other types of weeds that I haven't even begun to figure out. So, I went industrial and industrious.

Enter Kirk.

Kirk is our friendly store-keep at the local green thumbery. First, we picked up some stuff that I was scared to transport in the van due to the mile-long safety label. That ran out, but it was effective. So, today I got some more (a different brand), and Kirk helped me decipher the rest of the year.

Let's see, spot treatment now, then I put down pre-emergent in the first part of April followed by weed-n-feed. . . .and so on and so forth, until we start all over again, next Spring.

It sounded more like a science experiment than taking care of my lawn! Ironically, I'll probably spend just as much money in equipment, time and chemicals to keep my lawn within the neighborhood standards than I would if I'd gotten written up to the point the HOA forces me to pay for the services of a lawn company!

The truth is I want the pride of bringing my lawn back to life. It's going to go through some pain (due to the chemicals) and I'm going to have to put in a lot of sweat equity, but in the end, I am hopeful of Kirk's promise; that all will be well - as long as I'm lining his wallet.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment