Wednesday, September 30, 2009

You Wait in Kuwait

That's about it in a nutshell. I am currently in Kuwait waiting for a flight back to Afghanistan (not that I'm too anxious to return). My stay on the way over for R&R (Rest and Reconstitution) was very short - less than a full 24, but the stay on the way back has already passed 48 hours with no end in sight. My best guess is that I'll be on my way within 72 hours.

There is plenty to do here, however. I've got mutliple sources of internet access (obviously), a 24-hour DFAC (Dining Facility), KFC, McD's, Subway, movies, books, games, and decent transient sleeping arrangements. All in all, it's not a bad gig. The best part is that the weather has been very mild for the area due to being here in mid-late fall versus the middle of the summer.

Still, I'd rather be at home. The 15 days with Rachel and the kids was all too short, though very well spent and very appreciated. Rachel and I spent a week by ourselves in a cabin on Lake Blue Ridge with our sailboat, Sundae, tied up at the dock just behind us. Then we picked up the kids and shared some very terrific time with both her family and mine before heading to Florida for a week on the beach at one of our favorite vacation destinations. The resort we stayed at is called Waterscape and it is wonderful. It has five different pools, two hot tubs, and it is right on the Gulf with it's own white sand beach.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement over the last year since getting tasked, trained, and deployed. We have a few months left before being fully reunited. Until then, I'll try to keep you up to date.

In Him,
David

1 comment:

  1. Hey. While you are there, can you stop by a couple of the local PADI dive shops and see if they are decent? We got short listed for the Kuwait project so I might be out there for a couple of weeks.

    Oh. And it was great seeing you.

    ReplyDelete