Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Random Afghanistan Pictures



There is no doubt that one thing I will never forget from my 360 days in Afghanistan is the constant helo activity. These UH-60's (Blackhawks) are landing at a FOB on the other side of town and I have seen helos like this and many others landing and taking off day after day at my base as well and it never gets old!



Some Afghan National Army soldiers were playing cricket at the HLZ (helicopter landing zone) just prior to the Blackhawks' arrival.



We had a pretty mild winter this year which allowed some really great pictures with contrast. Here you can see the mountains immediately adjacent to my base with the King's Palace (Darul Aman Palace) in the foreground. You can also see that even in the winter Afghanistan is a very dusty place!



Dusty and dreary it may be, but occasionally a spray of color interrupts the typical Afghanistan picture. I am pretty sure two more balloons would have this guy in the air! Speaking of, congrats to "UP" for garnering a "Best Picture" Academy Award nomination!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment