Saturday, January 18, 2014

Djibouti

Africa.

Now I can add continent number 4 to my list of those visited.  North America, Europe, Asia and now Africa.  Additionally, I can confidently say that I've experienced Djibouti.  On a recent drive the bus ran parallel to a train - apparently a "rare treat" to see, as described by my co workers.  The train had no more than a dozen passenger cars behind a single diesel locomotive and it was moving about 35 miles per hour.  The train itself was interesting enough and looked like it had been resurrected from an ancient derailment off a Grand Canyon bridge - the just bent it back into shape and put it back into service!  Still, what interested me more were the passengers.  It was clear that the inside was completely packer.  Not only were locals hanging off the sides and out the doors, but there were several with "upper level" seats who decided to camp out on the top of the train and it rolled along.  Definitely a different world!

On another trip, we saw camels, antelope and friendly citizens who seemed happy to see us, but I couldn't really tell.

Regardless, we're here and I'm here.

The hardest part about being away from family is not being able to be there for Rachel.  She is a superhero, but the challenges she faces n our home are often out of this world!  I hate not being there for her when she needs me the most.  It makes me doubly appreciative of our friends and family and even moreso our Savior.

The best part about being away (if that's feasible) is being able to focus on personal growth, discipline and the job in a way that is otherwise difficult to accomplish when faced with the daily rhythm of walking the dog, filling up the gas tank or dropping off the Redbox movie.  I hope to take full advantage of this deployment to grow spiritually and physically and hopefully come home a better husband, father, son, friend, coworker, neighbor...etc.

Still, I'm here for 6 and a half months and I'll make the most of it.  Next update, I hope to have some pictures.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment