Saturday, September 23, 2006

Juneau, Alaska

We've made it to Juneau! A 4.5 hour trip down Lynn Canal and we are safely in port at Auke Bay, just 12 miles north of the most inaccessible state capital. The northernmost point of the Inside Passage is so amazing! I'll write about my journey last summer sometime. Rachel spotted the first whales - too far away to identify, but definitely a pod of large marine mammals - we expect to se more as we trek further south. We are situated nicely in a spatious 4-berth cabin with a small table and four chairs as well as plenty of space for the pack-n-play. Andrew is pretty excited to be on the boat and Rachel and I are just relieved to be skipping the entire ALCAN - a highway that is really fun to drive - once. Our boat and Jeep are tucked away in the bowels of the M/V Malaspina, along with other trucks, cars, R/Vs, and kayaks. Our layover in Juneau is pretty short, but long enough to get ashore and post this message. I'm sorry I have no pictures this time, as the terminal I'm working from is pretty limited. Anyway, I'll go now - next stop is Ketchikan, sometime tomorrow. I'll try to post another message from there! God Bless you all! - David

No comments:

Post a Comment