Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Psalm for me, now.

Psalm 91:14-16

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

Lying in bed alone far from home, these words comfort me. It will be at least seven months before I see Rachel and the kids again as well as the rest of my family and friends, but I am determined to not shaken by the duration ahead. Soon I will begin a very long journey to my home away from home for the next year and these words (along with many more I hope to devour) must stay on my heart and mind every minute as new and unique challenges present themselves.

I almost must continually remind myself the same thing that Larry Boy had to remind himself in his tussle with the Bad Apple - that I can't do it alone. God has put a support system that is unrivaled to comfort, encourage, bless, and support Rachel and me during this time that He wants us to use. He also wants us to communicate regularly with Him about what we are going through mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and so on.

So yes, the words of that Psalm comfort me - but in reality, I'm not alone tonight. I am surrounded by His presence and the prayers of a countless army of spiritual warriors standing in the gap for me and my family, and I am thankful.

In Him,
David

1 comment:

  1. David,

    First, thank you for your service, hope you don’t come home and become radicalized! lol Except for the work of the Kingdom.

    I recently developed kidney cancer which created a rush of many emotions.
    I have adopted a statement by Job, probably the most troubled and tormented righteous person on the earth.
    Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust him…
    If you can adapt this verse with any certainty, you will find ultimate peace.

    Additionally;
    Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
    1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

    With Him
    Dan

    Dan Bryan
    P.O. Box 28226
    Baltimore, MD 21234 USA
    4dbryan@verizon.net
    http://dbreflections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete