Monday, March 30, 2009

Ronald Reagan, How an ordinary man became an extraordinary leader

Ronald Reagan was an extraordinary human. Because of this, I must be very careful not to turn this into a review of him rather than the biography written by Dinesh D'Souza. The single most remarkable aspect of this account was not necessarily the subject (although Reagan stands alone, in my opinion, from the last sixty years of American Presidents) but the sourcing. D'Souza, a domestic policy analyst in the Reagan administration, was certainly close enough to have some personal knowledge of the "Great Communicator" and yet he relied on other people's accounts so much more than his own that I often forgot that he was even there himself.

Interestingly enough, D'Souza addresses this aspect indirectly throughout the biography by consistently describing Reagan as a very private person with few good friends. Reagan's circle was tighter than most (basically him and Nancy) and access to Reagan as a staffer was extremely limited. Against the odds, however, D'Souza produces - and does it in style. He draws on countless stories from heads-of-state, congressmen/women, aides and other administration officials, as well as limited personal experience to paint the mural of a true American hero.

The story of Reagan's life, like most biographies, is presented chronologically, yet D'Souza added a twist. He focused on a certain quality of Reagan during each time period or situation, ending with an answer to the question he poses at the beginning: Was Reagan a great leader? Why/why not?

It was my first real exposure to the president that helped preserve the freedom I had to ride my bike down the road or build a treehouse in my backyard without fear. Reagan made the 80's I remember a memory and not a dream. He comforted me when we lost the Challenger. He also gave me a profound respect for that house on Pennsylvania Ave and its occupants - a respect I still maintain.

The one phrase that invaded my mind with every page was, "And now I know why." See, I had always admired Reagan - probably more because my parents did and I was raised under conservative values - but I never really knew all the details. Now I feel enlightened as well as justified. Reagan was a great man, and Dinesh D'Souza makes it clear.

Now I just need to get my hands on Reagan's autobiography. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment