Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tech is dropped 30-24; fall to 10-2

UPDATE: Amazingly Coach Richt made the very difficult personal and professional decision to fire Willie Martinez (UGA Defensive Coord.) and two other Defensive staff members.  This really surprised me due to the terrific performance the UGA Defense put on against Tech.  In other news, Coach Paul Johnson received ACC Coach of the Year honors for the second year in a row; this was of course, no surprise.


You can see it on his face - Paul Johnson had an idea of what was about to happen at the beginning of the second half. (of course the score was a little telling as well)

1:22 from the continuation of a true rivalry.  It was a true in-state showdown.  Unfortunately, UGA left more on the field than Tech did.  I won't blame Demarius Thomas for the dropped 1st down pass.  I won't blame Coach Johnson for calling three passes in a row when we really needed to keep the game on the ground and run the clock down.  I also won't blame the defense.

In the end, I think that I will blame noone.  It's just a game.  A game that I hate to lose, but a loss this year to UGA does something that a loss any other year would not have done.  Nothing.

From the beginning, Tech's goal was to win the ACC Championship.  That's the second item on the list - last year the first item on the list was to beat Georgia (check - they came from behind to win 45-42).  Next year I imagine Johnson will place an even loftier goal on the top of the list. . .

It was not a fun game to watch at all but my hat's off to Josh Nesbitt who came back in after what could have been a devastating hit and subsequent injury.  Yet the real winner in my mind is Willie Martinez.  This win might have been just enough to keep his job as Defensive Coordinator at UGA.  I will admit that I, too, chided Mark Richt for keeping him aboard - and it still may not be the best decision - but tonight he rallied his team together to take down the second-best rushing offense in the country.  Not bad - especially when most were expecting a blow-out.

Revenge may be a whole year away, but the Yellow Jackets have much bigger fish to fry - first Clemson for the ACC title; then the Orange Bowl.


This dude in the middle of these UGA fans knows how I feel right about now . . .

The only thing I really am not looking forward to is the "good 'ole fashioned hate" and gloating that is sure to come from all of Georgia's 48th Brigade who are stationed with me.  Yes, Georgia Tech is in Georgia, but most of the GA Army Guard don't recognize anything inside the perimiter as part of the state.

Go Yellow Jackets!

No comments:

Post a Comment