Monday, October 22, 2007

Panera Bread Co. - my beacon of hope!

10.22.07 "Free WiFi" signs remind me of when you used to see "Diner's Club" signs in the windows of business willing to feed to growing dependency on the Credit Card. Our nature of dependency hasn't really changed much, but the terms have. Tonight I spent at least 45 minutes driving around the outskirts of Knoxville, TN looking for free WiFi, as though it would be just plain wrong to support an establishment that didn't offer this service. Starbucks gave me a grande Hot Cocoa, but T-Mobile wanted my Credit Card info for the WiFi, so I pulled stakes and moved out. I got lost a couple times, but eventually (and with some aid) happened upon the coveted Panera Bread Co. My WiFi savior was waiting for me - with a "Pick Two" deal to support my more animal instinct to eat. Now, here I sit, listening to jazz and experiencing the peace of mind that was lacking up until my two e-mail accounts had finally been checked for important correspondence. My heart rate slows down and the nice hourly-wage employee with the apron takes away the remnants of my dinner snack. All is well that ends well, and this day has definitely ended well.
In other news, I am (obviously) away from home, on a business trip to Knoxville, TN. I'm hoping to catch a Vols game while I'm up here - mostly because the LSU - Auburn game last weekend proved to me that the most exciting conference is the SEC, no doubt, and the stadium at UT is only about 2 x the size of GT's homefield. I could use some good clean, college football fun one of these weekends. Wish me luck as I search for some good seats. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment