Saturday, December 15, 2007

Shrek the Third

Shrek the Third, 2007 - PG

Mike Myers and his crew are settling in to what may prove to be a "Land Before Time-esque" franchise.  It has proven to be a successful formula to date, that is big fat ogres belching, farting, screaming, laughing, being sarcastic and in the end, learning something about themselves while building someone else up.  Same story - just more characters this time.  John Cleese somehow was able to get his Monty Python buddy, Eric Idle, into the picture as Merlin, the outcast magic professor, and Justin Timberlake even made an entrance as a High School loser.  I'm not sure what I thought completely yet, but I did enjoy it - of course.  The long dream sequence with Shrek was a bit overdone and almost scary, and some of the jokes have become a little tired by this third installment, but overall it accomplished its mission of making me laugh and occassionally feel a little gushy inside.  Especially after the last semester I had, the AF classes I took, classes I taught, music I've learned, business trip I had and lack of sleep, this movie was a great way to give my mind a rest!  My favorite line came at the end when a character was trying to make everyone feel good about themselves and then said, "And the only thing standing in the way of becoming that creature . . . .is . . . .you" This character then pointed to some random dude and everyone just about ganged up on him as though that were the guy standing in the way of their success.  OK, you had to be there.  I'm still laughing though.  My recommendation: wait until it's in the "2 for 11" bin at Wal-Mart to pick up a copy.  I know we'll have to if I plan on buying it on our budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment