Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"Sulhoffs, Sulhoffs, how does your garden grow?"

Hopefully, it's growing big and strong and putting down long, deep roots!

All the sprouts are in now, after several days of hardening them to the outdoor air and heat. It was a hot day in May today at 80 degrees plus. Tomato plant, pepper plant (pre-purchased), watermelon, carrots, corn, green beans are all growing in our little garden. Prayerfully, they will be productive!

I do have a couple of questions for those of you reading who have more gardening experience than we do. The jiffy peat pack recommended that you plant 2-3 seeds in each little peat circle and then thin out the weaker one after sprouting. Well, I only guessed at how to do that! I just picked the sturdier stem basically. With the corn, I had two stalks growing in each of the three pots I planted them in. In each of the three pots, one stalk was still green and fairly weak feeling to the touch, yet taller and with longer roots, but the other sprout was sturdier and had a purplish color at the base with medium root lengths. Which is the hardier plant and which is the weaker? I picked the one with the strongest (purplish)stem, for good or for ill.

And then the carrots. I did not thin them out. In some peat pots, all three seeds sprouted, in some only one. I just planted them like they grew. Am I going to get three gnarled up carrots all grown together under the pots where three sprouted?

If anybody has any insight to these questions, please email us or post a comment!

Enjoy each day God has given you!

Love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment