Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Time to do some Maintenance

Well, we've got three more big ears of corn that will probably be done soon. David and I pulled up the remaining carrots last night. They were pretty much duds. I need to figure out what went wrong, but I do think I let the green tops thrive and take all the nutrients instead of figuring out how to grow the root, the carrot, better.
I think it will be another week or two on the watermelons. Two of them are quite large and quite heavy, but the stem still is green and they're not thumping quite right.
My green peppers are finally beginning to turn a lovely red! (I learned in a book that red peppers are actually green ones ripened completely! Who knew! I don't know the story on yellow and orange ones.) Does anyone know how to get tomatoes to turn red? They've been almost exactly as they are for about 2 weeks now and I'm getting worried that something may be wrong.
Our one lone sunflower is going to open up it's beautiful blossom this week. It had a lot to overcome (apparently) since it is a dwarf! I'm not sure it's even 4 feet tall!
And this is funny. I'm going to have 1 green bean. One. Yes, just the one! It is very lovely though. After I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the plants, though I knew they were sick, I finally pulled them out. Upon looking very closely at the creases where the shoots grew off the main stem, I found the likely culprits. They were these insectst that had a very arched back with quite a few very stiff hairs on them. They were exactly the same color as the plant and looked like part of it. The babies were almost impossible to see, but there were a lot if you could see that well. They were smaller, yes, smaller, than the commas in this sentence. The bean leaves were so big that the insect repellent I put on the plants never reached those crevices on the stem.
We've learned so much so far!
Enjoying life,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment