Friday, May 15, 2009

A Typical Flight

1. I meet the helicopter at the pad next to the FOB. (Every time the helo approaches I have to drop to a knee, grab my gear, and shield my face from the rotor wash and dust it kicks up - it's a very M*A*S*H-like moment)



2. I wait for the dude to usher me to the chopper and he stows my bags in either the tail bin or behind the passenger compartment.





3. This time I decided to take some range pictures and video and one of the pilots asked for my camera. He's Canadian and you just can't say "no" to those folks, they are all so nice! So, he toook my camera and took a shot of me with my "Mickey Mouse" ear muffs on. Yes, they look kind of stupid but that doesn't matter - I'm still flying over Afghanistan which is way cool.

4. The flight usually takes me over some really awesome scenery - this was no exception. We flew pretty close to this mountain pass and I was able to get some sweet video - I'll post this when I have much more time on a computer.


5. Eventually we land the "machine" - that's what the Canadians call it. This time I landed in Jalalabad, Nangahar Province. I was met by a mentor team and off I went. Another successful helo trip in the bag. Praise the Lord!


In Him,


David

No comments:

Post a Comment