Sunday, May 31, 2009

Two-Ply

I am a firm believer in simple pleasures. In Afghanistan the simple things please me even more. Chocolate chip cookies, light on demand, running water and WiFi are just a few examples of simple things that I take for granted back at home in Alabama.

Recently I was taking my regular sojourn to the LSS (Latrine/Shower/Shave) CONEX (a big metal box used for shipping stuff) which is really not that bad compared to other latrine facilities I've been forced to use. There is very little room to sit down, close the door, and take care of business, but at least we have them, and they are well-maintained. Until yesterday, however, I was forced to tidy up with single ply.

Over time, I have grown accustomed to certain luxuries. Fresh Alaska Salmon, not-from-concentrate orange juice, 110" movies at home, and two-ply, quilted toilet paper are on a short list of "must haves" in my household - anything less is substandard (in my humble opinion). Since being deployed I have been forced to "suffer" without these things with no suitable subtitutes. The sandpaper that disintegrates as I "finish off" that is passed off as toilet paper is pretty much reprehensible, and yet I deal with it. And then I had a very pleasant surprise waiting for me in stall number 2 of my favorite LSS yesterday afternoon - half of a roll of two-ply.

No, it wasn't quilted. But it was a wonderful change nonetheless. I'm saving this sacred roll now for special occasions - the first of which was a photo op (shown above). I think you will agree with me that this is a terrific boost for my morale. Away from family and friends, yes. Missing some finer things, maybe. No two-ply? Not anymore!

1 comment: