Sunday, June 21, 2009

Garden, year two







Well, I decided to go for a garden for another year! Gardens make you slow down and do the simple things. Many people who live extraordinarily long lives attribute gardening to their good health. Here's to that! Gardening is just one simple way to step out of the rat race and/or the busyness of life for just a few moments. Somehow, after planting or watering or pulling weeds, you somehow feel like you've really lived. It is a very rewarding way to spend a little time every day.
We are growing Better Boy tomatoes, grape tomatoes, red peppers, 12 stalks of corn, and finally 2 watermelon plants. I bought new watermelon seeds this year...and then I lost them...so I eventually planted the ones from last May ('08), but they did not sprout for the looooongest time. I had given up on them and was already thinking about where I would put the little peat greenhouse they were in until next year. Later that afternoon, after I had given up hope, I looked and to my shock there was a two inch sprout there! A few days later a second one sprouted. I planted three and went ahead and put all three in the ground; maybe, just maybe the third will sprout, too. Here's hoping for 4-6 melons this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment