Friday, June 12, 2009

Military Appreciation Day...







...or week, rather. Let me tell ya, Montgomery does an awesome job supporting their military! Both last Wednesday night and this Saturday night are military appreciation nights at the Biscuits baseball games, Montgomery's minor league baseball team. Wednesday, was military appreciation day at the Montgomery Zoo. Military and their families got in for free, and Jim N Nicks BBQ along with Golden Flake snacks and some other organizations and companies all worked together to provide a great free lunch on that hot, hot day at the zoo. Posted are pictures of us on the train along with our dear friends the Bergrens.

You know, it's taken me eight years to feel this way, but I never knew until recently how good it feels to be appreciated specifically for our military service. I know that sounds crazy, but I think it's because, until now, I've never really felt like I've sacrificed very much in it. If someone told me thank you, even as a spouse, I don't think I really took it to heart. I've thought to myself, "Lots of people have hard jobs, we're not doing anything all that great." And, besides that, the AF has treated us well, meaning we haven't had to endure a lot of deployments on a frequent basis. Until now, I don't really feel like we've sacrificed a lot. But, now we've turned a corner. We are actively sacrificing 15 months of our life, by choice. We have had opportunities to get out. Yet, we have chosen to stay, in the midst of our greatest sacrifice, knowing there will be more rough times in the future. And, so somehow, it really is touching when a person I don't even know, much less my whole city, works to express their thanks for making the choice we have. When someone thanks me and I realize the gravity of our decision and all it encompasses, it nearly causes me to weep. It is very comforting to know that our family is not alone or our sacrifice going unnoticed. Thank you all for your unending support and prayers! There are people all over this great country praying for us! We are so blessed!
~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment