Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Alabama

The location of my current employment. As a military member, I am authorized to maintain a state that I had lived in previously as my state of legal residence. For me, that state would be Alaska, however, I work daily in Alabama. As we discover more about Alabama, I’ll be sure to update this entry. To date we have discovered a couple really great zoos (Birmingham and Montgomery) as well as dozens of “flea markets”. I use the term loosely because some places may call itself a “flea market” when in fact, it is just a discount retailer of cheap furniture. There are a bunch of those, as well as lots of true “flea markets”. There are also “flea markets” that are really upscale (but intentionally downscaled to look provincial) antique malls. Prices are hardly negotiable for newcomers like me and every item has either been researched to a “T” or taken on PBS’ Antiques Roadshow at least once to gain the true value. The only real negative things about Alabama so far are the pulp mill that occasionally wafts its gentle yet ungracious odor into my home and office, and the driving. Hands-down, the worst driving of any city I’ve ever visited or lived is in Montgomery, AL. Turn signals are few and very far between and lane changes at the absolute last instant are common. I’ve also found that bad driving is contagious! Often I find myself making the same mistakes I’ve chided others over. I guess I am just trying to make myself at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment