Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year

2009, here we go. 2009 is a year that is sure to be a challenging one for this family with at least an anticipated 11 months of separation and children entering school age. We started it surrounded by family and hopefully we'll get to end it in the same fashion, though this patriarch will be half a world away when we ring in 2010.

In reality, I can't stand New Year's. It seems to be a somewhat pointless holiday, but then again so are Halloween, Valentine's, and the widely heralded Transatlantic Communications Day. I always get blown away by how crazy revelers act in Times Square, watching a ball drop and embracing total strangers. I think how silly it seems. I guess I'm entitled to my opinion.

Funny thing is, even though I have no desire to celebrate the New Year in that fashion, I have a real longing to at least be a part of that social phenomenon - to someday say, "yes, I've been there. . ." Right now I've got bigger fish to fry, so I'll sigh off and sleep in to start 2009 right.

2 comments:

  1. I always thought it would be fun to ring in the New Year in Times Square, as the energy of the crowd seems fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times Square also carries other special meaning to me as that is where we bought the tickets (at TKTS) to my first Broadway show (Cats) and it's where I surprised Rachel over Valentine's Day weekend, showing up in New York while she was there for a wedding. It was a wonderful time of Broadway, Central Park, the Empire State Building, Tiffany's and staying in the Plaza before the renovation.

    ReplyDelete