Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Princess and the Crumb

Last night around 3 am, Rachel woke me up to let me know that Elizabeth was coughing. So, I got out of bed to check on my almost 3-year old. When I got to the room, she was lying quietly on the bottom bunk with her eyes slightly open. I leaned down to check on her and she looked up at me:
"hi daddy."

Very calmly she welcomed me, in these early morning hours, which was no shock - it was her style. I asked what was wrong and she informed me:
"there was a crumb in my ziplock."
Heh. Most folks think of the plastic baggies when they hear this term, however in our family, a "ziplock" is a one-piece outfit for sleeping with attached feet and the zipper that starts at the toe of one foot and progresses all the way up to the neck. So, considering the outfit she was wearing, you can imagine just how uncomfortable a crumb might be! I asked if it was still there and she matter-of-factly responded:
"no, it's gone now."
I was interested as to how the crumb got out, as the ziplock has only three routes of escape for foreign objects, the two cuffs at the end of each sleeve and the collar of the neck. So, I asked if she got it out and she happily let me know:
"no, daddy, it got out by itself."
"Good night, Elizabeth, I love you."
"Good night, daddy, I love you, too."

Man, I hope I never forget seemingly trivial little conversations like this when she's fifteen. She is my princess and always will be! God bless ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. seriously, she has got to be the cutest thing that ever did walk the face of this planet...i'm still trying to figure out how she got the crumb out...hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I just read your account on the "crumb in my ziplock" and laughed so hard the whole time! I needed that release! You did such a great job re-creating the moment for your readers. You are truly a genius! Why didn't you post any pictures of R2 to the site yet? I was so tired today I woke up with the timer in my hand which had been set to go off in 35 minutes...an hour and a half later! I have no memory of ever picking it up. Proud of you and missing you, Rachel, the wife of your youth

    ReplyDelete